Friday, September 3, 2010

Duke Nukem Forever FOR REAL? And More 007

At this PAX event, we learned that 3D Realms, the original Duke Nukem devs, passed the baton to Gearbox.  Those devs continued work on Duke Nukem Forever, which has been "confirmed" just recently.

.....

I don't know whether or not this is for real, but it's not April Fools' Day so maybe, JUST MAYBE it's for real.  There's a playable demo too:

http://kotaku.com/5628894/its-official-duke-nukem-forever-coming-from-gearbox-software
http://kotaku.com/5629589/duke-nukem-forever-spotted-at-pax
http://kotaku.com/5629782/duke-nukem-forever-impressions-two-girls-one-duke
http://kotaku.com/5629778/the-duke-nukem-forever-pax-demo-a-not+for+kids-photo-gallery/gallery/ (bonafide pics of the game)

Once news of this is spread over the internet, expect the internet to break down by the revelation.

I remember playing Duke Nukem on XBLA, I like it quite a bit.  Got 200/200.  What would otherwise be an decent-but-not-outstanding FPS is boosted because Duke is the Man...  Best one-liners of all time.  Like Captain Falcon's "Show me your moves," psssh.  Yes, it's somewhat of a grotesque game (dingy colors, mowing down aliens, tons of babes, you can stop by a urinal to "gain health"), but yeah, it's still Duke.

WARNING: Some moderate profanity like the S-Word, B-Word, etc.  Don't listen if you don't like curse words.  Also strippers:



Ever in a showdown with bullies, terrorists, ex-girlfriends, hostage-takers, etc?  Just drop a few Duke-isms on them and they'll cower down.  Every time.

------------

...I remember saying more than a month ago a quote from my Split/Second; Blur; Hydro Thunder entry:

"...For me, just wait it out for the big fish, like the AWESOME DAYTONA USA COMPILATION coming when Duke Nukem Forever is released."

...Could it be prophecy revealed?  Should we expect Sega to make a move cause I called this out before it happened??  I don't know, probably not, but WHO KNOWS FOR SURE...

------------

Also, let's go back to Goldeneye Wii with this lovely commentary by the original 007 N64 devs...  Martin Hollis, designer of the Goldeneye N64 game, said about the Wii "remake":

"I imagine it is a business decision isn't it? This name is valuable, let's use it. I find it hard to picture Activision's top management being excited about the original and wanting to do it justice. In fact, I find it hard to imagine them being excited about any game. It's my perception that they are trying to be EA, only more so. I think they are doing a fine job at that."


Also, I whole-heartedly agree Activision sucks--they make EA look like Mother Teresa.  Also this:


I love Goldeneye.  I don't care how old it is or how crude the gameplay is, it just has the "it" factor.  What a badass game, I get all giddy just thinking about it.  And I may have talked about two FPSes, I can assure you I'm not a macho knucklehead who enjoys violence...I like a few FPSes but not many.  Screw all these FPSes that have saturated the market anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment