Monday, September 20, 2010

Japanese (*cough*Sega*cough*) Games Suck

So says Keiji Inafune, Capcom mastermind behind Megaman and Dead Rising, said at TGS 2010.

"I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind.....Capcom is barely keeping up. I want to study how Westerners live, and make games that appeal to them.....the Japanese game industry isn't dead as long as Capcom is around."

Seems like a cool guy, we can go to Arby's and a get a Cheddar Melt

Surprisingly, this isn't the first time Inafune has said this...he has beat up on the Japanese game industry more than I ever could...

Anyway, it's tough for me to call this since I live in the US and thus I mostly see American-made games.  Practically everything's now American: FPS, racing (ugh), action, strategy, RPG (Japanese RPG's are becoming a niche), etc.  The way I see it, it's just fighting game and a few oddballs like Mario and Zelda that Japan has on us.  Who knows, I may be wrong.

I think what he's trying to say is that Japan is making less "quality" titles.  Nintendo is obviously perfect with their Wii and DS consoles selling in 10,000,000's.  Sega, like I've said before, is a joke.  I mean, I just hear nothing about them.  Let's hand off a few Sonic games to other devs to spit out on a regular basis and throw the fans some crumbs in the form of a few home ports and call it a day.  Capcom and, to a certain extent, Square still have some relevance but still, I gotta give credit to Mr. Inafune for what he said.  I think Megaman is good--seriously, give the blue dude credit.  And despite the extreme violence, I am somewhat interested in Dead Rising 2, just to see what the environments look like lol (I love colorful places).

Look, I may have admitted I'm not Sega's biggest fan, but I like what they've done throughout history and I want them to do good.  They're loveable losers.  But as far as I see it, they're making games like any other normal Japanese dev so they get no separation.  They're losing their "unique" qualities--like you don't see those Dreamcast-esque games anymore.  Oh well.

------------

And about Sega & Sonic Adventure, I was going to say this.  I think some of us thought that this game was going to be a knock-out punch that gives Sega a little credit.  Well, not really.  Besides the reviews, the game also had to come out at the same time as Halo: Reach.  So the game got a lukewarm reception and unless Sega starts spitting out those other DC ports, then they're going to lose whatever momentum they had.  And I still don't know when Crazy Taxi is coming out.

------------

And about the GameFAQs photoshop contest, I'm not entering because A. I don't have a good idea and B. there's about 200 entries so far and I have no shot at it considering the quality of some of the entries.  The video contest was my closest shot.  Oh well, screw that site.

No comments:

Post a Comment