Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sega Racer Related At Last (Fighters Megamix)

I made my rounds through YouTube again and here's what I came up with.  You know about Fighters Megamix for the Sega Saturn, the game with all the weird Sega characters in it?  Well, you know the Hornet car was a playable character, right?  Well I always knew this but I never got decent footage until now.  Speed up to 5:21 if you wanna see the Hornet in action:



Okay, I'm just going to ask this now.  Disregarding the fact that this is Daytona USA, WHAT OTHER ACTUAL FIGHTING GAME HAS A CAR AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER??  No, Transformers doesn't count (if you can play as vehicular forms).  I mean, WHO ELSE has the fortitude to attempt something like this?  A CAR CHARACTER IN A FIGHTING GAME???  The fact that it's the Daytona USA car is a bonus.  It's also funny that the tires are the arms and that when he runs out of health, parts of the frame fall off.  Too bad the Hornet is sucking pretty bad here--I hear he is not good tier-wise...

Also, don't you notice something up with this game?  Take a look...a bunch of characters from games by a specific developer together in a fighting game...doesn't that sound familiar?  If you're still clueless, let me give you a hint:


That's right.  Fighters Megamix came out in '96/'97 while Super Smash Bros came out in '99.  Yet it is SSB who is the victor and who gets the spoilers.  Well UP YOURS Nintendo.

EDIT: Capcom too with all of the crossovers, Marvel vs. Capcom, etc. not bad.

SSB--what a thorn in my side.  In all honesty, I'd rather take Mario Party.  Ok, it's not a bad game, but there's just something obnoxious about it.  And before you say I sucked at it, I used to play the N64 version regularly.  I went to a competition at a game store in the mall and came in 3rd out of 64 people, but now, I just don't want to talk about the game ever again.  Especially the brouhaha over the character announcements over the Wii version and how Nintendo teased us--like a farmer dangles a carrot over the horse...

You know what, let's talk about something else.  I don't hate the game, but I'd rather not play it.

------------

There aren't many new Daytona USA 2 videos, but here's one that flew over my head and I just noticed it.  This guy sets up the Model3 board and hooks it to his computer monitor and voila--he's playing D2 on a Dreamcast steering wheel.  I don't know how it works, but all I know is it works.  By Sega miracles from God I guess.



He posted many other gameplay videos which you can see in this big list of D2 videos I've meticulously compiled:  http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=83B3021DBEF1F415

And you know what, here's a video of a guy playing Scud Race in a deluxe cabinet.  Not that unique, but still I saw it so you should too.



You know what, I'm looking at this guy and all the other videos and I die a little on the inside.
Why everything has to be deprived from me so long...is it that much to ask for a decent Model3 (Scud Race/Daytona 2) kind of racer, just a home port, anything?!?!
 Not like I'm asking for millions of dollars or a gold statue in my honor, just ONE game!!!
Geez, I'm losing it, I really am...I'm on a roller-coaster ride at this point--it's "Daytona USA or Bust" for me.  Let us pray for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment