Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Greatest Game(s) Ever Made?

EDIT: GameFAQs keeps churning out more lists as time goes on so I'll probably add them eventually...

I would like to know what's up with GameFAQs and their rabid-like obsession with figuring out what the greatest video game of all time is.  First, check out these Top 10 lists according to these GameFAQs people...:

Moderators
Current Events Board
Random Insanity Board
Contest Board
Poll Of The Day Board
Life, The Universe, And Everything
EVERYBODY PANIC
Nonstop Gaming Board
War on Terrorism Board???
The Forum (dear God make it stop)
Classic Gaming Board (not all these games are "old," makes sense right)
The Couch

At least to be fair, each list has some different games, but overall, you see the same twenty or thirty games pop up all the time.

And then this is all capped off by what must be the millionth GameFAQs "Best Game Ever" contest.  And the winner will always be Zelda or Final Fantasy.  MAYBE Smash Bros or MGS.  No questions asked.  They focused this contest on games from the 00's, but all this does it take away Zelda: OoT and FFVII so some other garbage can win.

Really, I hate to be a jackass, but do I really care what a select group of people think are the greatest games?  Like what are you trying to say--if I haven't sat down and played Shadows of the Collosus, Metroid Prime, Zelda: Majora's Mask, or Star Wars: KotR from start to finish that I'm a bad man?  I hate to say it, but I don't care about 80% of the games on these lists.  And you might say I'm missing out--well, too bad.  EDIT: Let me reiterate--I don't hate these games per-se, but I'm just not into them.

As a matter of fact, I'm willing to say I had more fun playing this than all your little RPG games:


And I do like my Sega racers, but I'm not about to "scientifically prove" why I like these games by taking polls and whatnot...I like them, they make me feel good, this stuff comes from the heart, you come see for yourself.  I'm not running around trying to piece together all these Top 10 lists that are set in concrete.  Fact is my Top 10 would be completely unique.  I mean, all these "official" Top 10's just seem to reinforce more groupthink.  Play these games and you'll be cool!  Don't play them and you're out of the loop.  Oh so what.  Peer pressure, my ass.

Some will say that I'm just pissed just cause I don't see games like Daytona USA up there.  Really?  That's not it--contrary to popular belief, I don't want Daytona USA to have a fanbase in the billions...I like it playing the underdog role.  Secretly hiding in the shadows like Batman.  Criterion, Electronic Arts, Turn10 tossing and turning all night cause Sega may release that new racing killer app that would sink their ship (thankfully, this is Sega we're talking about so they're not too worried...neither would I).

There's plenty of games with no face time out there that have cult followings (besides Sega racers) such as X-Com UFO Defense and Earthbound, so really, I find these lists annoying for completely different reasons altogether.

...

And another thing that's weird about GameFAQs...what's with these GameFAQs VIP Beta Key Giveaway things?  So SBAllen asks you some question about this new fantasy MMORPG game called Rift like "What area do you find item-X or whatever," you type the answer in the blank, and if you're right, you enter a raffle where you may win a prize that I have no idea what the hell it does.  Okay...a Beta Key, what does it do?  I have no friggin idea.  So I entered one or two and as odds would have it, I don't win.

In case you've never seen this contest, click here to check out SBAllen's post.

Now I have nothing against this Rift game, but I can't help but think he's trying to self-promote this game himself by having people look up info about it.  It is as if I were the admin and I had people scrambling to find answers for OutRun 2 or Scud Race questions to win "prizes."  I'm willing to bet A. that SBAllen loves this game and is self-promoting it himself or B. someone's paying him off.

EDIT: I think these beta keys were for the Rift game itself.  Wow, ambiguity FTW!!

And another thing, this is not saying that Rift will be a "bad" game quality-wise.  But I hear about one more G-D GAME WITH THE FOLLOWING WORDS--MAGE, CLERIC, WARLOCK, PALADIN, DRUID, ROGUE, HUNTER, OR WHAT HAVE YOU--I AM GOING TO SNAP.  Literally, I don't want to have anything to do World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, or whatever crap you got because I can't take it anymore.

And that's my post.  Very sloppy, probably pissed off a lot of people, but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment