Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I'm RAGE'd About These Hue Alterations!!

When I mean "Raged," I mean Rage, the upcoming video game by Bethesda Softworks.  This game takes place in an apocalyptic wasteland where you fight for survival by blasting the crap out of ugly space mutants.

(I had to set this pic to small since I don't wanna see these damn ugly dudes).

Holy cow, this is the most original idea for a game ever.  I've never heard of such a game before.  The amount of creativity on display here is staggering.

But really, I could sit here and say, "this game sucks," until I'm blue in the face, but that doesn't mean anything.  I wanted to discuss the game further when I saw a gameplay trailer on Kotaku.  I'm not even going to link to the video, just go there and see for yourself.

Hell yes, let the color debates begin!...

------------

Lively?

Looks brown to me. 



I hate this critique. Don't want a brown or gray game? Don't play a war game. Wars create dust and rubble. Especially wars in an urban setting.

Ever see pictures of urban centers during WW2? Or even ground zero in the aftermath of 911? Things get gray and brown in an awful hurry. 


Oh, you! :P

Springtime for Hitler is rather joyful, perhaps that is what people want. 


ROFL picture fail.

Also, the whole color argument is so lame. Color fanboys now, who knew? 



------------

First of all, I didn't know it was possible to be a "fanboy" of color.  If you like or prefer something to another, you're a fanboy!  Everybody's a fanboy (or fangirl) now!  Straight men are girl fanboys!  People who like to laugh and smile are happy fanboys!  People who love America and the liberties they have are freedom fanboys!  It never ends.  No matter what, you're a fanboy/girl and thus are an a-hole, apparently. 

But I tell you what jumped into my mind after seeing this Rage footage.  I see digital color alteration.  This is what many movies nowadays do--they alter the hue in order to convey a different mood.  At first, this wasn't such a bad idea (see O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Saving Private Ryan) but now, it's basically done to expediently add a little "zing" to the movie.

This is a really good Cracked article I read on movie cliches.  Basically, horror movies are blue, apocalyptic movies are grey, desert movies are yellow, surreal movies are green, and everything else is teal & orange.  Here's another good article about teal & orange movies from some guy's Blogspot.


Everything is teal & orange!

Everything is grey!

And about this Rage game, heh....everything is grey or pukish green.  What an original game.

Now I don't really care what Bethesda does with its games--make whatever you want.  But until then, I'm sticking with my trusty old color wheel:

Thankfully, Call of Duty and Halo still use the color wheel so that's cool.  M-rated games and the color wheel aren't incompatible you know.

------------

But to cheer you up, here's some happy news--Love Roller Coaster is in Rock Band!!!  Yes, happy times are here again!!!  Look at all the colors!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment